Writing and ResearchHere you will find a listing of recent academic writing, publications and presentations
Current Projects in the Works
– Supervising Producer / Project Manager for the Amplify Podcast Network, SSHRC funded project. Co-directors Dr. Hannah McGregor, SFU and Siobhan McMenemy, WLU Press.
– Bombardier-SSHRC Doctoral Research 2017-2022, “The Lesbian Show: The evolution of marginalized voices in Canadian audio media”. Simon Fraser University, School of Communication, Vancouver, Canada.
Past Project Affiliations
– Research Assistant for “Liveable Soundscapes” SSHRC funded project under primary investigator Dr. Milena Droumeva.
– Podcast Project Manager for “SpokenWeb Podcast” SSHRC funded project under primary investigator Dr. Jason Camlot and podcast taskforce lead Dr. Hannah McGregor.
Select Publications and Research
– Copeland, S. & Knight, L. (2021). Indigenizing the National Broadcast Soundscape – CBC Podcast: Missing and Murder: Finding Cleo. Radio Journal: International Studies in Broadcast & Audio Media, 19(1), p.101-116. https://doi.org/10.1386/rjao_00036_1
– Copeland, S. & McGregor, H. (2021). A Guide to Academic Podcasting. The Amplify Podcast Network. https://amplifypodcastnetwork.ca/Guidebook
– Copeland, S. (2018). A Feminist Materialization of Amplified Voice: Queering Identity and Affect in The Heart. In D. Llinares, N. Fox, & R. Berry (Eds.), Podcasting: New Aural Cultures and New Media, p.209-225. Palgrave Macmillan. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-90056-8
– Copeland, S. (2018). Broadcasting Queer Feminisms: Lesbian and Queer Women Programming in Transnational, Local, and Community Radio. Journal of Radio & Audio Media,25(2), 209-223. doi: 10.1080/19376529.2018.1482899
– Copeland, S. (2017). The Gendered Experience of Voice in Radio and Beyond: Toronto, Canada (Master’s thesis). Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada.
– Copeland, S. (2017). “Ehrick, Radio and the Gendered Soundscape: Women and Broadcasting in Argentina and Uruguay, 1930–1950.”Journal of Radio & Audio Media 24, no. 1 (May 2017): 176-78. doi:10.1080/19376529.2017.1297599.
– Canadian Communication Association, Congress 2019 @ University of British Columbia (Canada). Paper Presentation “Wounded Vibrations and the Promise of Truth in CBC’s Podcast Missing and Murdered: Finding Cleo” (June 2019).
– International Association of Communication and Media Research, IAMCR 2018 @ University of Oregon (USA). Paper Presentation “A Community Approach to E-Waste: Video Ethnography at Free Geek Vancouver” (June 2018)
– Canadian Communication Association, Congress 2017 @ Ryerson University (Canada). Paper Presentation “The Gendered Experience of Women’s Voice in Radio and Beyond” Master’s Thesis Presentation (May 2017)
– Broadcast Education Association Conference 2017 @ Las Vegas Westgate (USA). Paper Presentation “‘This is The Sound of My Voice’: Exploring Women’s Broadcast Voice through Radio Documentary Work” (April 2017).
– Activist Media Archives 2016: De/Materializing Bodies @ The Studio for Media Activism and Critical Thought, Ryerson University (Canada) Paper Presentation “CJRU’s FemRadio: Archiving Feminist Media Activism in Practice”
– ISCS Conference 2016 @ Ryerson University (Canada) Paper Presentation “Among The Airwaves: The Exploration of Canadian Amateur Radio through Making and Connecting in the Internet Era”