Writing and ResearchHere you will find a listing of recent scholarly writing, publications and presentations
Refereed Publication and Research–
– Copeland, S. (2018). A Feminist Materialization of Amplified Voice: Queering Identity and Affect in The Heart. In D. Llinares, N. Fox, & R. Berry (Eds.), Podcasting: New Aural Cultures and New Media, p.209-225. Palgrave Macmillan. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-90056-8
– Copeland, S. (2018). Broadcasting Queer Feminisms: Lesbian and Queer Women Programming in Transnational, Local, and Community Radio. Journal of Radio & Audio Media,25(2), 209-223. doi: 10.1080/19376529.2018.1482899
– Copeland, S. (2017). The Gendered Experience of Voice in Radio and Beyond: Toronto, Canada (Master’s thesis). Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada.
– Copeland, S. “Ehrick, Radio and the Gendered Soundscape: Women and Broadcasting in Argentina and Uruguay, 1930–1950.”Journal of Radio & Audio Media 24, no. 1 (May 2017): 176-78. doi:10.1080/19376529.2017.1297599.
– International Association of Communication and Media Research, IAMCR 2018 @ University of Oregon (USA). Paper Presentation “A Community Approach to E-Waste: Video Ethnography at Free Geek Vancouver” (June 2018)
– Canadian Communication Association, Congress 2017 @ Ryerson University (Canada). Paper Presentation “The Gendered Experience of Women’s Voice in Radio and Beyond” Master’s Thesis Presentation (May 2017)
– Broadcast Education Association Conference 2017 @ Las Vegas Westgate (USA). Paper Presentation “‘This is The Sound of My Voice’: Exploring Women’s Broadcast Voice through Radio Documentary Work” (April 2017).
– Activist Media Archives 2016: De/Materializing Bodies @ The Studio for Media Activism and Critical Thought, Ryerson University (Canada) Paper Presentation “CJRU’s FemRadio: Archiving Feminist Media Activism in Practice”
– The Radio Conference 2016: TRE @ Utrecht University (Netherlands) Paper Presentation “Empowering Voices of Queer Women: Freedom and Identity in Transnational and Local Radio”
– ISCS Conference 2016 @ Ryerson University (Canada) Paper Presentation “Among The Airwaves: The Exploration of Canadian Amateur Radio through Making and Connecting in the Internet Era”
– Future Communications Conference 2015 @ York University (Canada) Paper Presentation “Empowering the Queer Voice: Women’s Freedom and Identity in Local and Community Radio”
– Copeland, S. (2018). “Speaking in and Listening Out: Soundscape as Creative Archivism at the AMA Symposium”. In Rally: Graduate Journal (1). (Forthcoming 2018).